Thursday, October 05, 2006

Speaking of new camera, I just aquired the Pentax Optio W20 - Waterproof - at Friday night's TechFest live auction at the Discovery Museum in Bridgeport, Connecticut. David Pogue was the auctioneer; the only research I did on the camera prior was watch his New York Times review plus briefly featured it myself in the news piece I did to promote the event. Read more from the blog I keep for News 12.

Bottom line, though, watch out Willamena! As soon as I have time to dress you up and take you out, you are going to have to endure multiple pictures as I learn my new camera.

Since it has 7.0 megapixels, first I have to figure out how to change the settings so I take lesser quality pictures. Otherwise, if I post them on this blog, the file will be so big it will jam up your computer when you click on it. Plus when the picture would finally open, it would be so big so all you would see is one eye or just a corner of the pic. You'd have to scroll around it, like when you get one of those big file pictures in your email. Tell those people to reduce their settings!

I'll figure that out soon. Instead I've been fiddling with my new DVD recorder.

I guess I'm just putting off the inevitable. As tech savy as I try to be, I resisted getting a digital camera. I was in love with old Canon Elf. I bought it back in 1998. It captured all my memories of living all over upstate New York into moving to New York City. Despite carrying it with me everyday and dropping it just about every other hour, that little camera excelled. It is the source of nearly every picture on this blog and Willamena's prior to this posting.

The one time I thought my Canon was a goner was after some sticky drink was spilled on it one New Year's Eve.
It's insides were all gummed up. The film wouldn't wind. I finally got it out, and when processed, the pictures were all bleary. It took a few rolls, but that little camera pulled through. And that was five years ago!
I have hope for my new Pentax, because while it claims its waterproof, its only so up to five feet. That basically means all my spills, Willamena slobber and bouts in the snow and rain shouldn't damage it too much.

1 comment:

David Pogue said...

Well, at least you KNOW that you need to reduce the resolution for the Web!

If you only knew how many people I have to explain that to... and still don't get it... ! :)

Anyway, it was great of you to attend the tech fair. Hope you dig the new Pentax!

--David Pogue